Everyone’s talking about tablets. Will the iPad 2 gobble up 80% market share? Apple freaks tweet, post and talk like Steve Jobs: “The iPad is ‘magical, incredible.'”
Android-based tablets, like the Samsung Tab, are growing as fast as rabbits in heat. But I think mobile phones are much cooler than tablet computers.
Believe me I’m all for tablets. I bought an iPad several months ago and use it daily. Connected to my home network, the iPad is a powerful media device for digital reading, email and entertainment.
But my 4G Sprint Epic is far more versatile. I can make and receive phone calls, text, handle email, check into Twitter and Facebook. It’s a super smartphone. I love it. But….
Mobile Phones vs. Tablet Computers
- Portability. My Epic fits in my pocket and is near me 24X7. There’s voice mail if I’m busy and can’t take a call. I have true push email on my Gmail and other POP accounts, courtesy of Google. Typing short docs is a breeze with the pull-out QWERTY keyboard or, if I’m feeling bold, I use SWYPE on the virtual pad. (See my blog post on portability and mobility. True, the iPad offers email and an easy-to-use keypad. But I can’t stick the iPad in my pocket and walk down the street. It makes me feel like a lawyer or bookkeeper. Plus no Web connection unless I stop by an Internet hotspot.
- Privacy. When I use my mobile phones at home or in public, it’s a private experience. No prying eyes. It’s just me and my phone. But the larger screens on tablet computers let anyone who’s five feet near the screen see the display. I want to keep my content private.
- Size. If I’m having lunch or need to take out my mobile in public, I can hold it in one hand, while talking with others. Try doing that with an 8 inch tablet.
- Cool Names. Hey, you’ve got to admit that mobile phones have cooler names than “ipad, “LePad,” “SmartPad” or “Playbook.” (Read my article on mobile phone names. Instead of “pad,” you’ll find “Razzle,” “Imagio,” “Barrage” and “Entice.” I want my mobile phones to make a social statement. So I can tell admirers “Well, I usually carry my ‘Razzle,’ when I’m not using my 4G ‘Epic.’On weekends, I party with my ‘Barrage.’ Isn’t that cool?”
- Light Weight. I like carrying slim mobile phones that don’t make me exercise my biceps every time I pick them up. Try doing that with 1.5+ pound tablet computers.
- No Big Ads. Advertisers are drooling over the larger screens on tablet computers. But I’ll stick with tiny text or banner ads on mobile phones.
There you have it. Six advantages of mobile phones over tablet computers. So the next time some dude tells you to buy his “magical” device, hold on to your wallet, chuckle and fondle that mobile in your pocket.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Email | RSS | More